Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Holidays!

I’ve always enjoyed this time of year.  The food and drinks, getting together with the family, and, I’ll admit it, the gifts, both giving and receiving.  But I’ve always enjoyed the music during this time of year.  Yeah, I know it gets annoying after a while (especially if you work in retail) but this is the only time of year when you can listen to holiday music and not look like an out-of-season fool.

So, with this post, I’ll be putting up my favorite holiday songs.

Santa Claus - Harry Connick, Jr.



This is a song I’ve always heard but never really listened to the lyrics.  I really like the story of the song about a boy who thinks he’s getting too old to believe in Santa Claus but gets quite a shock on Christmas night.


Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano




 Oh, this is the quintessential Hispanic Christmas song.  I’d be a fool not to included it on this list and it is a nice change of pace from other holiday songs with the Spanish lyrics.  Plus, it just sounds so festive and upbeat!



Silent Night - Traditonal



I just love how peaceful and soothing this song sounds.  Perfect for curling up by the fireplace.


Snow Miser/Heat Miser - Rankin and Bass



This is the sole reason why anyone watches The Year Without a Santa Claus.  I’ve seen the special many times over the years but when these songs come on, I always start singing along.  It’s just so damn catchy.


You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft


                                    


Again, like the last song, this is one of the reasons why I  enjoy How The Grinch Stole Christmas!.  You just gotta love that deep voice and those insulting lyrics.


O Tannenbaum - Vince Guaraldi Trio

                                      

Another song from a Christmas special, this one from A Charlie Brown Christmas.  I know everyone enjoys Linus and Lucy from this special but I’ve always had a soft spot for this song.  It just sounds so cool and jazzy.


Run Rudolph Run - The Reverend Horton Heat






I particularly like this version of the song since I got to see it performed live!  But I still don’t understand what the lyric “Randolph ain’t too far behind” is supposed to mean.


Jingle Bells - The Brian Setzer Orchestra

                                         

This, in my honest opinion, is the most coolest version of this song.  ‘nuff said.  

So, that’s it for this year at Grimdark Parking Lot.  ( I completely forgot the one-year anniversary was a few days ago. :P)  Here’s to 2012 (since the world didn’t end on the 21st) and I hope you all have a Happy Holiday!  See you next year! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment