Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beer Thoughts 05-16-13

Jacob’s back and, this time, someone has to pay!

Or I could just tell you about these new beers I found.  Yes, I’ve returned with a new make-your-own six-pack.  However, these beers are courtesy of Liquid Town, a liquor store with multiple locations across Corpus Christi.  I felt like a kid at a candy store as they had a very diverse selection to choose from.  I’m definitely going back for another six pack as this one’s only a fraction of a taste of what they were selling.  ¡Vamanos! ¡A la embriaguez!

Alaskan Freeride APA - Has a sweet fruity smell to it and can also smell the hops in it as well.  Despite smell, it has only a slight hoppy taste and, for the most part, is quite smooth with a bit of a fruity aftertaste. As I’ve said before, I normally don’t care for pale ales but this particular brew is an American Pale Ale (Most pale ales I’ve tried before were Indian Pale Ales) and tasted much more palatable to me.



Red Hook Copper Hook - Doesn’t have a very distinct smell at all. Has a strong bitter taste at first but a relatively smooth aftertaste. After drinking awhile, it gets less bitter and  descends into a more smooth taste all around.


New Belgium Dig Pale Ale - I can smell a faint but sweet citrus scent after opening.  A very mild bitterness when it first hits your tongue but you can definitely taste the fruitiness as it goes down.  Strange that I find not one, but two pale ales that aren’t bad at all with this six-pack. (Either that or I’m just getting more and more used to pale ales)


Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale - It has a light pleasant smell and a sweet taste that’s hard to pinpoint at first. After a few gulps, it tastes sort of lemony to me or at least a citrus flavor that I detect.


Gordon Biersch Brewing Co. Hefeweizen - It has a burnt wheaty smell that reminds me of bread.  The smell carries on to the taste buds with a “burnt” sort of taste, if that makes any sense. But, overall is quite smooth from start to finish.


Cerveza Caguama - Has the same skunky smell that most South-of-the-Border beers have like Corona or Landshark. I was expecting an aftertaste but it’s very smooth and goes down quite easy.

Jacob’s Best O’ The Bunch! - Not since Christmastime has there been a tie, but I’m going to go with both Alaskan Freeride APA and Cerveza Caguama.  I swear, Alaskan Brewery can do no wrong with me as every beer I’ve tried with them, I’ve enjoyed thoroughly.  Gordon Biersch Hefeweisen came as a very close third contender but Caguama beat it out by having a more smoother taste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment